How to feel your best after a blood test
17 January 2023
Although our staff are trained to minimise any problems associated with having blood taken, such as bruising, swelling or discomfort, you can also help lessen the risk by following our handy guide below!
Five tips to feel your best:
- Once your blood is taken, you will be asked to apply pressure to the site for a minute or so. A covering will be applied – make sure to keep this in place for at least 30 minutes.
- Do not lift or carry heavy objects for the rest of the day.
- Avoid tight or restrictive clothing above or around where the needle was inserted.
- Avoid any movements which may cause strain to your arm – e.g. playing sports, digging or ironing.
- Try to rest your arm as much as you can throughout the day.
If you notice any swelling or extensive bruising, it’s important to seek medical advice or contact SA Pathology on 08 8222 3000 or e-mail Health.SAPathologyCallCentre@sa.gov.au.
Find your nearest collection centre.
SA Pathology performs over 15m tests a year from a catalogue...
As the leading Clinical Scientist of public health and epide...
If you’ve binged the first season of the hit TV show The Las...
Born and bred in the sunshine state, David Cox constantly so...
A shared focus on antibody therapies has underpinned the hig...